“All of life can prove to be a resource for our learning, presenting a challenge for us to understand the demands that life makes upon us, whether it is in what we enjoy or in the experiences which cause us conflict and pain.”
~Patrick Casement, 2006~
Source: Learning from Life, Casement, P., Rutledge, 2006, London, p.1.pp.1
I provide psychodynamic counselling for adults, who are under stress, anxiety or other psychological/ relational issues and concerns.
- Relational issues (ex. in marriage, in child rearing, in relationships or at work)
- Anxiety (ex. sleeping difficulties, lack or excess of appetite, chronic headache/ stomachache)
- Stress (ex. in life transitions, immigration, loss of loved ones)
- Self knowledge (understanding oneself better in order to improve current relations or quality of life)
I work with children, who present difficulties in; learning, communication, emotional regulation, or social relations and/or other related issues. I can work in a play therapy setting, a talk therapy setting or combined according to the needs and the age of the child.
I offer specialized Educational Therapy for children, who have Autism Spectrum Conditions (ASC) or related social difficulties.
Children with autism spectrum conditions (ASC) or other communication difficulties often find it stressful to be in social situations, including day care or schools. The situation gets even more stressful and sometimes hostile for the child when his/ her difficulties are not properly understood and addressed accordingly. As a consequence, children with such difficulties, over time, tend to develop secondary issues, such as depression or low self-esteem. These issues are harder to tackle when their notion of outside world and communicating with others have already developed into something negative. For this reason, early educational intervention is recommended for children to learn to communicate better with others (and to enjoy it!) at early stage of their social life and to subsequently learn that he/ she is an individual, who deserves to be loved and cared for just like any of their peers.
What is Educational Therapy ?
In Child Counselling, play is understood in the context of the children’s fantasies and symbolical communications, where their emotions and thoughts are often expressed more freely and fluently than in verbal communication.
In Educational Therapy, play is considered as a one-on-one learning opportunity for children to relate to others. The counsellor focuses on the child’s strengths and difficulties in his/her capacity to communicate, and always encourages the child to be active in relating to others by engaging him/her in communicative play. The cognitive and relational development of the child observed in the course of therapy is regularly shared with the parents through periodical feedback reports and parents’ consultations.
It is not easy for a child to go through formal assessment at medical institutions. Unfamiliar settings with unfamiliar people (often with white gowns) are anxiety provoking in themselves. Children with social difficulties are especially in trouble simply trying to deal with the assessment environment.
Having worked in medical institutions as well as therapy institutions, I hope to provide an assessment whose results are closely connected to the needed support in order to minimize the stress and maximize the benefits. This means I provide an assessment based on observation of the child, applying therapeutic play techniques instead of cognitive testings with standardized instruments, in order to attend to the difficulties as well as the strengths of the child in more concrete everyday life situations.
Mentalization-Based Treatment (MBT)
What is MBT?
Mentalization-Based Treatment (MBT) is an evidence-based clinical method applied to help individuals grow his/her capacity to mentalize, thus to better understand thoughts, behaviours, intentions, and emotions of others and ourselves in order to improve the quality of our interpersonal relationships.
A short introductory video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxUHILbZNaY
How do we proceed?
- Initial meetings: What are the difficulties you face? What are the issues at home/ work? What would you like to improve in your life? We’ll take 2-3 sessions to understand the issues to be treated, including the discussion of weather or not the method is appropriate for the issues raised.
- Formulating the issues: We will then continue our discussion, now specifying the recurrent issues and formulate the pattern of such problems in order to set a clear and common target of our work together.
- Sessions and revisions: We’ll start our work applying specific method of MBT for 20 sessions (weekly session for about 5 months) and revise our work to decide whether or not the further treatment will be necessary.
All services are provided in English and Japanese.
＊For further information, please contact:
076 465 0117